cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1116 is requesting "detailed explanation" of "other Deduction Statement A." I have completed everything in TurboTax, but don't know what additional info is needed for Line 3A of Form 1116. The query came up during the review of my completed return.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Form 1116 is requesting "detailed explanation" of "other Deduction Statement A." I have completed everything in TurboTax, but don't know what additional info is needed for Line 3A of Form 1116. The query came up during the review of my completed return.

TT wants a description of the deduction for which an amount was entered in  3a.

Highlighted

I have the same question. There is an amount in 3a, but I don't know what it is, why it is there, or how to describe it.

Highlighted
Level 8

3a will display at least the standard deduction or itemized deductions such as sales taxes, real estate taxes, medical expenses, gifts to charity, etc.

Highlighted
Returning Member

@rogge1722 

I am also getting the below review error:

=====================

Form 1116 (COPY 1) -- Explanation Stm: Detailed Explanation must be completed. Enter your explanation here to complete the required statement. It must show the other deduction items for line 3B colulm a.
Detailed Explanation: ___________

===========================

If I am taking standard deduction, should the display text in above textbox be:

"Standard Deduction"

Highlighted
Employee Tax Expert

If that is what the number represents then, yes.  That will explain the deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"