jburas64

Form 1099-g and divorce

My filing status changed from "married" to "head of household."  how do I report a state refund from the previous tax year?  100% of the refund?  50% to my ex-wife and 50% to me?

Rachel_W

Form 1099-g and divorce

Yes, both options are acceptable, you could claim 100% or you could claim 50% and your ex-wife claim 50%.  You can split the reporting of the State Refund from the 1099-G between the two of you any way you and your wife agree upon.  

In most cases, Ex-Spouses each report 1/2 of the refund to keep things simple.  However, feel free to agree on splitting it in whatever way seems fair to both of you.

Rachel_W

Form 1099-g and divorce

jburas64

Form 1099-g and divorce

Thank you.  Very helpful!!
Rachel_W

Form 1099-g and divorce

You are welcome!
doc1ludwing

Form 1099-g and divorce

Hi, So is lawful if each just write 50% of the amount indicated in the box 2?