turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the injured spouse form, do I just put the injured spouse income in the questions?

do I just put the injured spouse income when it asks "which portion of the income do you want to apply?" and how do I know which portion of the deductions I can claim on this form? Am I allowed to put the total amount of income and deductions from both incomes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

For the injured spouse form, do I just put the injured spouse income in the questions?

No, the income must be shown under the spouse that earned the income.  Once you have your return completed you can add the injured spouse form and TurboTax will send all the income to the appropriate spouse. Select the correct spouse for each W2 or other income.

• Reminders:  
  1. If the injured spouse is the only one with income all of the refund will be released after IRS review of the Form 8379.  
  2. If there is income from both spouses, the IRS will apportion the refund and some will be released.
  3. If the injured spouse had no income, the refund will not be released.
  4. If you are not in a community property state, and both of you have income, you can divide exemptions up any way you see fit. It is possible the IRS may make some adjustments based on the income levels for each of you.  Let them do that when they receive it.  
  5. The standard deduction must be split between you so you can't change that part. 
  6. Review the screenshot attached for the initial important answers.
  • My Account > Tools > Topic Search > Type injured spouse > Go 
  • Select the right person for injured spouse, the one with no debt (this can hold it up if you select the person who owes the debt).
  • Click on the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

Is there any step by step information to fill out the injured spouce form IF the injured spouce, is the only one with any income at all. (The other spouce the debtor, does not make a penny). I had tried before put all zeros under HIS column but they never sent me dime nor an explanation of how to fix my form. I need help they took just over $6700 from me last year federal..(we are now separated a year plus.) But I earned all of the income 2016+ prior, and fully supported my children alone. I would think I am entitled to my money but have struggled to find help..free help because well I'm poor I support me n 3 children on very little money. Please help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies