Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For 2017 converting personal vehicle to business, it asks for purchase and market price. Which is used as the starting value for Depreciation?

My purchase price is much lower than market value.  This is a cab and chassis truck that was converted to dump truck along with other repairs prior to being put into business use.  Example:  Purchase price $10K, upgrades $10K, Market value $25K.  I worry if depreciation starts from $10K then end up selling for $25K I will have a huge tax burden so I have been avoiding converting it to business use for depreciation.   Do I use $10K, $20K for purchase price?  And is IRS using market value of $25K or purchase price as starting point for depreciation. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

For 2017 converting personal vehicle to business, it asks for purchase and market price. Which is used as the starting value for Depreciation?

You use the lower of (1) the Basis (purchase price plus cost of improvements) and (2) the Fair Market Value at date of conversion to business for purposes of depreciation.

So in your example, you would use $20,000 (assuming it was $10,000 of improvements, not repairs).

Yes, if you sell it for more than your Basis ($20,000, minus depreciation you take for the business), the gain will be taxable.  Just like anything else, if you sell something for more than you paid, the profit is taxable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies