turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I claim my son? He only lived an hour after birth. I was told my Jackson Hewitt or something like that I can claim him

I have his social. He lived for a hour after birth.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

How do I claim my son? He only lived an hour after birth. I was told my Jackson Hewitt or something like that I can claim him

You enter him as a normal dependent. When asked how long he lived with you, you say all year. That is allowed, for your situation,  and does not constitute lying to the IRS. You will be allowed the child based credits

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You enter him as a normal dependent. When asked how long he lived with you, you say all year. That is allowed, for your situation,  and does not constitute lying to the IRS. You will be allowed the child based credits

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Thank you, @Hal_Al.  Deleting my answer which was clearly erroneous.
*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

First, I'm so sorry for your loss! Bless your heart!  My 1st was born in September and I was also told to claim he lived with me all year even though it was only 3.5 months out of that year, it's definitely allowed as the above person said. Again I am sorry for your loss, your angel will forever be watching over you.
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Deleted.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies