Solved: First, I'm so sorry for your loss! Bless your hear...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim my son? He only lived an hour after birth. I was told my Jackson Hewitt or something like that I can claim him

I have his social. He lived for a hour after birth.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

How do I claim my son? He only lived an hour after birth. I was told my Jackson Hewitt or something like that I can claim him

You enter him as a normal dependent. When asked how long he lived with you, you say all year. That is allowed, for your situation,  and does not constitute lying to the IRS. You will be allowed the child based credits

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Level 15

You enter him as a normal dependent. When asked how long he lived with you, you say all year. That is allowed, for your situation,  and does not constitute lying to the IRS. You will be allowed the child based credits

View solution in original post

Level 15
Level 15

Thank you, @Hal_Al.  Deleting my answer which was clearly erroneous.
*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
Level 6

First, I'm so sorry for your loss! Bless your heart!  My 1st was born in September and I was also told to claim he lived with me all year even though it was only 3.5 months out of that year, it's definitely allowed as the above person said. Again I am sorry for your loss, your angel will forever be watching over you.
Level 15
Level 15

Deleted.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings