turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I can't get my PIN from IRS?

I've been trying to get the PIN from IRS and apparently the system don't recognize my name, and locked me out.  What can I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
EricG
Intuit Alumni

First, are you sure you need a PIN from the IRS? PIN's from the IRS are by request only, and you'd have received it in the mail. It's not super common. 

More often, people get their prior year AGI confused for a PIN, as it's required to e-file. 

There's some good info on them here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3388576

If you're locked out and do need a PIN, you'll probably want to take an extension and file once you receive it.

I've been trying for years to get my pin sent to me but for some reason the IRS doesn't recognize my maiden name or married name and they reject my e-file every year. I talked with them and they said they mailed it to my previous known address but I haven't lived there in years and they won't update my information. What can I do since this COVID 19 junk is preventing me from contacting them.

Mail your return, the earlier the better, Make a note of your AGI and keep for your records. you can do that by making a print copy of your completed tax return.

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend because a TurboTax update changes your return.
OR, to find your AGI next year.

if your name on the return doesn't match the IRS database for your SSN, you won't be able to e-File next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies