Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mmmaru28
Returning Member

Filling out Form 709

Hi, I am helping my parents fill out form 709. They gifted me money for a house last year. I understand the basics of it but if I did my calculations right (this part was confusing, I had to manually calc what the taxes owed if they were to pay it and its on a sliding scale, like first 10K is at this rate, then next 20k is at this rate and so on.)  on the poor IRS instructions, it said to enter $4M as the credit and if the calculated tax amount is less than the credit, that I take the calculated amount and in the end I subtract the calculated amount from itself and it nets to 0 for taxes. Is this correct? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Filling out Form 709

The Lifetime Gift Tax Exemption is $11.7 million. This means that someone can give up to $11.7 million over the course of a lifetime without ever having to pay gift tax on it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Filling out Form 709

Turbotax does not support this form.

edli6789
Returning Member

Filling out Form 709

*full disclosure. Not CPA nor a tax preparer*

Probably don't owe taxes. The lifetime exemption amount is $11.7M for a single person and double that being $23.4M for a married couple. Since in this examples "parents" made the gift then I assume they're a married couple. If the married couple never gifted more than the annual gift exclusion before ($15k in 2021, but varies by year) then they should still have $23.4M of lifetime exemption.

1) Meaning if that gifted money was not over $23.4M then there will be no gift taxes to pay. The purpose of this form will then be for the IRS to just track how much left of the $23.4M they have. For example, if they gifted you $3.4M to purchase the house then they have $20M left of lifetime exemption.

2) If they did gift you over $23.4M, let's say $24.4M as an example. They will owe $2.64M in Gift Tax (($24.4M Gift - $23.4M Lifetime Exemption left as of Gift Date) x 40% Tax Rate). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies