turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing status I should be able to file as head of household my spouse lives in Mexico and we are legally married, however she does not have a social security number

I want to file as head of household, however turbo tax isn't placing me in this status after asking me questions
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filing status I should be able to file as head of household my spouse lives in Mexico and we are legally married, however she does not have a social security number

Head of household requires that you live apart from your spouse AND that you provide care in your home for a qualifying person, usually a child dependent.  You must not have a qualifying person.  In that case you can either file as married filing separately, or you can elect to treat your spouse as a US resident for tax purposes and file jointly, but this means they must report and pay US tax on their non-US income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Head of household requires that you live apart from your spouse AND that you provide care in your home for a qualifying person, usually a child dependent.  You must not have a qualifying person.  In that case you can either file as married filing separately, or you can elect to treat your spouse as a US resident for tax purposes and file jointly, but this means they must report and pay US tax on their non-US income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies