Filing for taxes

Filing for taxes

Hello,

I no longer live in the US and I was working there on my F1 OPT visa, from January till August 2018. I’ve the W2 from my employer.

Will I be eligible to file taxes and claim my return, since I’m not in the US anymore?

I don’t have any bank accounts as I closed it all. If I file for a return, will I be allowed to provide the bank details of my family for the return to be deposited.

Thanks!

Filing for taxes

Yes, you are still eligible to file taxes and claim a refund if it applies to you.  

By the end of 2019, if you had a  F-1 visa and stayed in the US for not more than five years, you are considered as a nonresident. (Did you mean to say January till August 2019 instead of 2018? )  As TurboTax does not support the nonresident tax forms 1040-NR, you would need to contact Spintax which is affiliated with TurboTax to assist our non-resident customers.  Please click here Sprintax.

If you have a tax refund, that refund can only be directly deposited into a US bank located in the US.  If you do not have a US bank account, you can provide your foreign mailing address on the tax return so that IRS can mail a check to you.

Filing for taxes

Hello,

Thank you very much! And yes I meant 2019, apologies!

To confirm, I can’t provide the US bank account details of family living in the US for my refund?

Thanks! @LinaJ2020 

Filing for taxes

Can I deposit my IRS refund into someone else's account?