turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FEIE Election and Child Tax Credit

Hi. I am an expat that recently moved back to the US.  I had elected FEIE while abroad before but now have relocated back to US. I am currently on US based income and won’t need to make Form 2555 election in the near future.

My understanding is that FEIE does not need to be formally revoked in moving back to US based income.  However I am expecting a newborn child and was wondering if additional child tax credit can still be claimed if I do not fill in/elect Form 2555 for that year, or would I need to formally revoke FEIE for five years to make the claim? Thanks and much appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Dblkings here are the eligibility requirements. there are some tweaks on the credit in 2022 (it goes back to the 2020 rules), but American citizens - parent and child - both with social security numbers are eligble.  there are limitations based on income, but the "Up to $2000" credit is not based on where you live.  (in 2021, the "up to $3600" was dependent on where you lived, but that is moot for 2022 tax year).

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/child-tax-credit

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@Dblkings here are the eligibility requirements. there are some tweaks on the credit in 2022 (it goes back to the 2020 rules), but American citizens - parent and child - both with social security numbers are eligble.  there are limitations based on income, but the "Up to $2000" credit is not based on where you live.  (in 2021, the "up to $3600" was dependent on where you lived, but that is moot for 2022 tax year).

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/child-tax-credit

Thanks very helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies