Dblkings

FEIE Election and Child Tax Credit

Hi. I am an expat that recently moved back to the US.  I had elected FEIE while abroad before but now have relocated back to US. I am currently on US based income and won’t need to make Form 2555 election in the near future.

My understanding is that FEIE does not need to be formally revoked in moving back to US based income.  However I am expecting a newborn child and was wondering if additional child tax credit can still be claimed if I do not fill in/elect Form 2555 for that year, or would I need to formally revoke FEIE for five years to make the claim? Thanks and much appreciated!

NCperson

FEIE Election and Child Tax Credit

@Dblkings here are the eligibility requirements. there are some tweaks on the credit in 2022 (it goes back to the 2020 rules), but American citizens - parent and child - both with social security numbers are eligble.  there are limitations based on income, but the "Up to $2000" credit is not based on where you live.  (in 2021, the "up to $3600" was dependent on where you lived, but that is moot for 2022 tax year).

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/child-tax-credit

NCperson

FEIE Election and Child Tax Credit

Dblkings

FEIE Election and Child Tax Credit

Thanks very helpful!