Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Tax Liability appears to be wrong by about $2k

I've prepared my taxes in 3 different software packages this year.  The result is that Turbo Tax is consistently wrong.  Two other popular software packages calculate my Federal tax liability at about $6200.  Turbo Tax is telling me that my liability is only $4500.  I cannot seem to figure out where the difference is, but it's clear to me that Turbo Tax is giving me some kind of credit that the other two popular consumer tax preparation software packages are NOT.  What can I do to ensure that Turbo Tax is doing my return accurately? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We have no way to know if you are looking at the actual Form 1040's that you prepared with those software programs or if you are looking at some sort of summaries that they provided.   If you were looking at the actual Form 1040's-----what was the difference when you looked at line 35a or at line 37?   The way to spot the difference would be to print out those returns --lay them all side by side ---and compare them line by line with each other to see what is different.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

the only way to check is to print out copies of the returns from each app. You may have to pay. Then you can compare line for line as to what lines are different and post back here for a possible explanation.   all apps are tested for iRS compliance so they should all be producing the same results unless there are certain features they don't handle. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies