turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Estimated taxes for 2021

Turbotax  Premiere does not increase standard deduction for being 65+ or blind for single taxpayer FOR NEXT YEAR. Note that I filed 2020 jointly, as my spouse passed away last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Okay.  I did some experimenting, and it turns out the 'bug' IS related to my deceased spouse!  I mentioned our filing jointly in the past in my original message, in case it was important.

In the past, he has been the taxpayer (age 77 at end of 2021) and I was the (same sex) spouse (age 67 at end of 2021).  I used last year's (2019) file as a starting point for 2020 turbotax.

So, when I switched to filing 'separate' for estimated purposes, Turobtax took my husband's info.  The worksheet shows the taxpayers age as 77 and spouse age is blank. The field on the worksheet for "do you qualify for an additional standard deduction" is blank for taxpayer and I cannot change it (options drop down, but stay in box).  The spouse box shows 1 no matter what I put in the interview.  In all cases, the total box on the worksheet always stays 0.

Now I understand how turbotax is 'thinking.'

Shall I start a new thread to find out how to make me the taxpayer and my deceased husband as the spouse?

View solution in original post

35 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax uses the most recent information when calculating your 2021 estimated taxes. If you want to adjust for the increased standard deduction, then you are able to do so in TurboTax. 

Please follow these steps to calculate and generate new 1040-ES vouchers: 

1. With your tax return open, search for 1040-es (be sure to include the dash) and select the Jump to link.
  2. Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2021?
  3. Answer the questions about things like your 2021 filing status, income, and deductions.
  4. Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen. Answer Yes and we'll include your 2021 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.

Comment back if you have any further questions and we can help you further. I am sorry for the loss of your spouse. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is page with check boxes for 65+ and for blind; but selecting one , both or neither of these results in the same estimated tax bill.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does make the adjustment to the standard deduction for both 65+ and/or blind when doing the estimated taxes for next year. 

• As you go through the posting be sure to enter everything that is appropriate. 
  • If your itemized deductions now exceed the standard deduction there would be no change for the deduction amount.
  • The base standard deduction for married (2020) is $12,400. 
  • For married (2020) is $24,800.
  • Although you did not have enough itemized deduction when married, you may when you file single.

Let me try just once last time to explain:

If I choose only the "Do not use the standard deduction.." option on the "Increase Standard Deduction" page, press "Continue" and then press "Forms", the "ES & W4 Wks" shows the deduction allowed as 10,000.   This proves that my itemized deduction amount is $10,000, which is below the base standard deduction for 2021.

If I press "Step-by-Step", and then "Back", uncheck "Do not use the standard deduction" (i.e. no options selected),

press "Continue" and then press "Forms" the worksheet shows the Deduction Allowed as 12,550.

If I press "Step-by-Step", and then "Back" and choose both "Over 65" AND "Blind", press "Continue" and then press "Forms" the worksheet still shows the Deduction Allowed as 12,550.  I get the same result for only "65+" and the same result for only "Blind".

Is there perhaps some other factor (e.g. income too high) that prevents me from getting the increased standard deduction?

Thank you for your attention to this

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I am using TurboTax desktop, and the calculation is correct.

In the first case I selected Not Applicable with nothing else checked.  You must continue through two more screens 

The result is $12,550 standard Deduction

Now if I enter Over 65 and continue through two screens.

The result is $14,250

I think the key was to continue past the initial entry to activate the change.

Okay.  I did some experimenting, and it turns out the 'bug' IS related to my deceased spouse!  I mentioned our filing jointly in the past in my original message, in case it was important.

In the past, he has been the taxpayer (age 77 at end of 2021) and I was the (same sex) spouse (age 67 at end of 2021).  I used last year's (2019) file as a starting point for 2020 turbotax.

So, when I switched to filing 'separate' for estimated purposes, Turobtax took my husband's info.  The worksheet shows the taxpayers age as 77 and spouse age is blank. The field on the worksheet for "do you qualify for an additional standard deduction" is blank for taxpayer and I cannot change it (options drop down, but stay in box).  The spouse box shows 1 no matter what I put in the interview.  In all cases, the total box on the worksheet always stays 0.

Now I understand how turbotax is 'thinking.'

Shall I start a new thread to find out how to make me the taxpayer and my deceased husband as the spouse?

Slight correction: options for taxpayer drop down, but DON'T stick in the box

No sorry, you can't change the order of names.  You will need to start a new file next year and not transfer from 2020.  

I went back to personal info and switched me to taxpayer and that did resolve the estimated standard deduction problem.

But now all the 1099s are assigned to the opposite person.  Is there a  better way to fix this than manually changing everything?

Is it better for the IRS to keep my husband the 'taxpayer' on our final joint return?

Yes.  Stay consistent.  Leave him listed first.

Thanks to everyone for your help.  I now consider this case closed, but don't know how to mark it so.  Can someone there do it, please.

Is it a different navigation when using the desktop version?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

In the desktop version to create estimated tax forms for 2021 start under the "Federal Taxes" tab. 

1. Click the "Other Tax Situations" tab
  2. Scroll down to "W4 and Estimated Taxes"
  3. "Start"

I just filed my 2020 tax return.  I filed as a senior single because my husband passed away in Nov. 2019, not as married jointly as before.  In the past, I always would get the vouchers for estimated tax and the amount.  This year, because I over paid my 2020 tax hugely, so i am going to get a large refund and my income decreased substantially.  But I still expect that I would pay for tax for 2021.  I itemize my deduction.   

Where can I get the estimated tax amount and the vouchers?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies