Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

retirement4me
Returning Member

Federal Debt

I owe federal taxes and I am due a refund for state taxes. I am trying to e-file both my federal and state taxes.  I have scheduled a debit payment from my checking account for my federal taxes for this Friday, April 7th, Why does Turbo tax tell me that my refund total is only my State refund minus my federal debt.  I do not want federal to debit my bank account on April 7th what I owe and then also have my federal debt deducted from my State refund. How do I make sure this does not happen?  Should I just not e-file my federal taxes??

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Federal Debt

What you are seeing on the Tax Home web page is just an arithmetic calculation of the Net refund and the taxes owed.  It in no way indicates that the taxes owed will be paid from the tax refund.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Federal Debt

Your federal tax due will not affect your state refund. Turbo Tax thinks it is doing you a big favor by netting the two amounts and then informing you what the net result is. It is confusing to some people.  

You can still plan on the scheduling your direct debit and your state will not deduct your federal tax due amount. These are two different tax agencies that do not interface with each other. You can still efile both returns safely with complete peace of mind knowing you won't be paying taxes twice.

@retirement4me 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
retirement4me
Returning Member

Federal Debt

Thank you so much!!!  Just wanted to be sure.

retirement4me
Returning Member

Federal Debt

Thank you so much.  Just wanted to be sure.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies