Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Fed & State e-File Rejected (xml data failed schema validation)

If you were expecting to get money from IRS, did you get the refund. I still haven't got.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The IRS was closed for return processing for some time to focus on the economic stimulus payments. They have resumed normal operations and are now processing returns. You will have to be patient as the IRS works on getting caught up. Continue to track the progress through the IRS Check my Refund Status link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mrbillman

My federal taxes were accepted 4/02/2020 for 413.00 still have not received yet says its still processing <SSN removed> can you help        William

@mrbillman wrote:

My federal taxes were accepted 4/02/2020 for 413.00 still have not received yet says its still processing 572/04/08652 can you help        William Gibson

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions
If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

mrbillman

William  Jr. / Patricia ...filed married joint file...IRS accepted Fed. tax filed on 04/02/2020...through TurboTax....still have not received....ss# WLGJr. [social security number removed]....ss# PCW [social security number removed]...please let me know where our $413 federal return is...and why it's being held up?

@mrbillman wrote:
IRS accepted Fed. tax filed on 04/02/2020....

please let me know where our $413 federal return is...and why it's being held up?

Oh, my!!   Your comment was full of personal info in this public Internet forum.    For your privacy and security, do not post any personal info here.  Luckily, it appears the forum privacy filter removed the SSN's, at least what I can see.  If you want to remove more, you can edit your original comment.  To do that, click the tiny 3-dot blue icon just to the right of your comment, and then choose to Edit.   A TurboTax Moderator may edit it further in the meantime.

Many people are in this situation.  There have even been news articles about it.   I'll tell you a way to reach an IRS agent (if you're lucky), and also how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

Here are some things to do first, which you may have already done.  If you efiled, you should double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.  If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.

If that showed it was accepted, you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to monitor the status of your Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE: When using that tool, be sure to enter the correct SSN and filing status.  Use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.  The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

If the IRS tool says it is still being processed, here's how to reach the IRS, but it may not be easy.  Part of it is luck.  Due to the Coronavirus, some of the IRS call centers are closed, some are operating with reduced personnel, some are gradually opening back up.  Some users have reported this week that they have finally reached someone.   Here is the normal method to reach an IRS live agent when they are operating smoothly, and I'll also tell you below how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you continue to have no luck reaching the IRS, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.   They are still taking phone calls in most states.  They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

@mrbillman   Looks like your ssn got through the filter and got posted in your first post.  Edit that one and delete it.

JLG2541

I didn’t file with turbo tax was not helping me. I deleted my information. 

Kris5

I am having the same issue, my return continues to be rejected no matter what correction I do.  My message however, is that I have input incorrect AGI or PIN ...BULL.  went to my IRS account and extracted a download of my 2019 tax return transcript.  I am not putting in the incorrect AGI as the message indicates.  This happened to me last year and I had to paper file.  You can only imagine how long it took to have my Paper Return Transcribed into the IRS systems during 2020 COVID 19.  I had applied for a mortgage in 2020 so not having my tax data available electronically was nothing short of a train wreck.  I am now thinking that this is a TURBOTAX issue and not an IRS issue as I Input the same AGI for 2019, as the IRS has in their database.  

Thanks and good luck tax payers!!!

If you mailed your 2019 return it took a long time for the IRS to get it entered.  So use 0 for the AGI to efile 2020.  You could have tried 0 last year to efile 2019.  

Shesakiss

Same issue. State was rejected but federal was accepted. Support told me to enter W2 info manually and make sure none of the boxes have anything in them accept where I have input on W2 and capitalize. If still not accepted to file by mail with federal return attached. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies