Yes, the program is indicating it is not acknowledging that you have updated.
Please click the below link. This was updated 4 days ago and has the latest federal update: Manually update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)
It turns out that the message itself was the problem. The message just said 'the tax program needs to be updated'. When I checked for updates it said I was up to date. The real problem was turbotax had updates, but couldn’t apply them without me first having to install updates to ios on the Imac. After I installed available updates to the ios, then started turbotax, the updates became available, and were noted as ‘very important’. Whille this was true, the lanquage in the error message could have said ‘ we have imprtant updates to install, but need you to update your operating system’. After completing the above updates, it worked fine.
"Failed Validation" error when efile (last step) - saying that there is a program update, but my Turbotax is up to date. Also, checked Windows update and it is also up to date. I backed off and efiled federal, which went through. So this is about state tax (NY). Googled and found that this problem has been recurring every year. Very frustrating, and too lazy to spend hours on the phone with customer service!
I ended up talking with CS, and she saw the error message via screensharing. She said that I just need to mail my return. Well, as far as I know, New York has a state efile mandate. I chose "mail my return" option, the state electronic file mandate is on the return.... So Intuit, this is brilliant!
These are the steps I used to make mine work:
1. Applied the manual TurboTax update even though my TurboTax indicated it was up to date. Here is link to the update: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...
2. On my Windows machine, I requested all updates and applied them.
3. Rebooted my Windows machine.
4. E-filed just my Federal taxes which was successfull
5. Then E-filed my state taxes and they filled successfully