Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MK51
Level 1

Extension filed

A 1040 extension was e-filed by another provider.  Where do I enter in TurboTax Premier the return is on extension so the Filing Deadline date will be correct?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Extension filed

There is no where on a tax return to indicate there was an extension filed.  If the extension request you filed was accepted by the IRS then the IRS already knows the tax return was filed with an extension.

If you paid any taxes with the extension request then follow this procedure to report the taxes paid -

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
    Click on Deductions and Credits
    Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
    Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
    On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button
The federal extension payment will be shown on Form 1040 Line 17 and on Schedule 5 Line 71
Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

Extension filed

This is broken for me. 

Extension filed

@ojbyrne What part of the procedure to enter an extension payment is not working for you?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Extension filed

@ojbyrne 

Are you working on a 2018 tax return or an earlier year?

Are you using TurboTax Online or the CD/Download TurboTax software?

Extension filed

2018 Tax Return. Download for Mac.

Extension filed

@ojbyrne 

Where in this procedure is it broken for you when using the TurboTax 2018 Mac software?

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Extension filed

@ojbyrne - In your post in another thread you said that you enter the amount of the payment, but it doesn't flow to Form 1040 and it doesn't change the tax due.

Since you are using the download TurboTax software, please try this. Go to forms mode and open Form 4868. Below your name and address there is a box with the heading "Important Information." In that box there is a checkbox A. If that box is not checked, click it to check it. Then see if that makes your extension payment change your federal tax due.

Please let us know if this solves the problem.

Extension filed

I have a similar problem with TT (H&B Download) not recognizing my payment with my Maryland extension.  TT recognized my federal extension payment as well as my (non-res) Georgia extension payment.  I have entered the correct information into TT Deductions & Credits/other tax situations/state extensions.  In Forms view, it will show correctly.  However, whenever I then try to Save for my records, or Print my return, TT will change the amount paid with the extension to the (lesser) amount due and not show the refund of the amount overpaid.  How do I get it to save and print correctly? 

Extension filed

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies