turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raksha0828
Returning Member

Exempt from withholding

I am an 18 year old dependent and just got my first job. One of the forms I have to fill out is asking me if I can claim exempt from withholding for 2022. How do I know if I can click this button?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AamilD
Expert Alumni

Exempt from withholding

To clarify, are you referring to the Form W-4 and is it for tax year 2022?

If yes, then this question means that do you want your employer to take taxes from your paycheck. If you click this button then, your employer will not take any taxes from your paycheck and when you file for the taxes next year, then you may owe taxes since you did not pay any taxes through out the year.  

As a general guideline, only those who feel they will not have any tax liability should check this box. Per the IRS, for 2022, every single filer will get a standard deduction of $12,950. What this means is that if your income is below $12,950 for the year, most likely you will not have to pay any taxes.

So if you feel your income will be less then $12,950 for the whole year, you can click this button. However, to be on the safe side, if you don't click the button, your employer will deduct taxes from your paycheck but when you file your taxes, most likely you will get a refund for the taxes you paid if your income is below $12,950.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Exempt from withholding

If you have never filed a tax return and you don’t expect to earn enough to pay taxes you can click exempt to not have tax withheld. 

AamilD
Expert Alumni

Exempt from withholding

To clarify, are you referring to the Form W-4 and is it for tax year 2022?

If yes, then this question means that do you want your employer to take taxes from your paycheck. If you click this button then, your employer will not take any taxes from your paycheck and when you file for the taxes next year, then you may owe taxes since you did not pay any taxes through out the year.  

As a general guideline, only those who feel they will not have any tax liability should check this box. Per the IRS, for 2022, every single filer will get a standard deduction of $12,950. What this means is that if your income is below $12,950 for the year, most likely you will not have to pay any taxes.

So if you feel your income will be less then $12,950 for the whole year, you can click this button. However, to be on the safe side, if you don't click the button, your employer will deduct taxes from your paycheck but when you file your taxes, most likely you will get a refund for the taxes you paid if your income is below $12,950.

raksha0828
Returning Member

Exempt from withholding

omg thanks SO much! i don't think i'll even be filing taxes next year since i'm still a dependent and i only plan to make about 4k through this part time job so I should be good to click exempt right?

Exempt from withholding

Right!  Good luck with your first job. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies