Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Excess social security multiple employers same EIN

How do I get turbotax to recognize my w-2 are from different companies even though they have the same EIN number so that I can get my excess social security witholding refunded?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

Excess social security multiple employers same EIN

If both W-2 have the same EIN, you can't get TurboTax to recognize that your W-2s are from different employers. Contact the payroll company to check if EIN numbers can be corrected. If not, you need to file Form 843 Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

Excess social security multiple employers same EIN

Yep.......if it is a single payroll company that provided the W-2 for each employer...then you may be stuck mail-filing.  


TTX stopped covering  the ability to  e-file that situation ~2 years ago.


*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings