Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vndowson

Even though my 18 year old lives with me, can I claim her she has a job and going to school?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Even though my 18 year old lives with me, can I claim her she has a job and going to school?

Since her mother claimed your wife as a dependent on her taxes, you wife can't file a joint return with you for the year.  Your wife can file as "married filing separately" and indicate in the Personal Info that someone else claimed her as a dependent on their taxes.

Since you and your wife will be using the filing status, "married filing separately," if one of you uses the standard deduction, you both must use the standard deduction.  The same if you are itemizing deductions.

@elijah_hartman

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SherekaB

Yes, a child under age 19 or a full time student under age 24 can still be claimed as a dependent regardless of the amount of income she has.

You can claim her as a dependent as long as you can answer YES to these questions.

• Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply. Being away for school does not change the child's permanent home address and they still qualify as being in the home.
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tie breaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage and residency requirements for claiming a child.

If she made more than $6,300 W-2 income or $400 self employment then she must file a return. Anything less she is not required but it is a good idea to file a return to get back withholding. Be sure she selects someone else can claim her as a dependent on her return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302077

My wifes mom claimed her as a dependent on her texes 

My wife and I were wondering if she could still file for taxes on her own. I can claim myself but shes not she if she can claim herself and still be claimed as a dependent on her mom's taxes. We're both 18. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Since her mother claimed your wife as a dependent on her taxes, you wife can't file a joint return with you for the year.  Your wife can file as "married filing separately" and indicate in the Personal Info that someone else claimed her as a dependent on their taxes.

Since you and your wife will be using the filing status, "married filing separately," if one of you uses the standard deduction, you both must use the standard deduction.  The same if you are itemizing deductions.

@elijah_hartman

dmac101

Would love to know where you got the number $6300, when everywhere on the internet shows $12500.  Where did you get your source?

That is very old info.   This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

Starting in 2018 the Standard Deduction increased (almost double) and the personal exemptions went away.  The Standard Deduction increased from 6,350 to 12,000. (For 2017 the personal exemption was $4,050 per person.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies