Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Etrade import issues

Does anyone else still have issues importing tax data from E-Trade?  There was a known issue last week and  importing from E-Trade was disabled. If you tried to import you just got a message saying to "try again on 2/26/2024".  As of this morning E-Trade imports are once again enabled, but my imported data is still incomplete. In my case, the pre-merger 1099 was included but the post-merger 1099 (with Morgan Stanley) is not.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Etrade import issues

For help with your 1099-B E*TRADE import issue, see the TurboTax Help article How do I re-import my E*TRADE from Morgan Stanley Form 1099-B in TurboTax? for guidance.

Etrade import issues

Thanks for the response, but I had already seen the post you provided a link to.  It seems the problem related to missing 1099s data in the E-Trade import still exists.  There were 2 separate 1099's issued for my account  -- one for transactions prior to the Morgan Stanley merger, and another for transactions after the merger.  TurboTax is only importing one of these.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Etrade import issues

If you are using TurboTax Online, try importing using a different browser.

See the following TurboTax Help articles for potential fixes:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Etrade import issues

The post-merger import may have to come through Morgan Stanley since they were the acquirer. be careful check for proper cost basis for any securities sales reported on their statements.  

from MS website

Important: If your E*TRADE account transitioned to Morgan Stanley in 2023, you may receive two tax forms for 2023: one for your original E*TRADE account that reports all activity before the transfer date (the form name shown in the Tax Center will include “ETS”), and a second for your converted account that reports all activity after the transfer date (the form name will include “MSSB”). You may need to reference both forms in order to file your tax return. Please note there may be a slight timing difference in the availability of the two forms.

Etrade import issues

I received hard-copy 1099's from E-Trade in the mail, one for pre-merger and another for post-merger.  Both are listed when I log into E-Trade and go to the Tax Docs section; but only one get's imported by TurboTax ("legacy" E-Trade account number).  I also  checked to see if the post-merger 1099 was on the MS website; it is not.  

There is definitely a bug but not sure if it belongs to E-Trade/MS or TurboTax.  

I guess the work-around at this point is the enter the missing information manually.  

Thanks all for your feedback!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies