pierceMD

estate distributions

I am filing my mother's estate income tax (1041) because the gross income is greater than $600. The total estate is significant, but the income after death is relatively small, and the net is <zero after deductions. The program uses term "distribution" there is no distinction between the distribution of the estate versus the distribution of the estates pretax income. Where in this case it is zero. I created the K1s per instructions, but I think it was unnecessary

Is there anywhere in filing form 1041 that I am supposed to report the distribution of assets?

martinmarks

estate distributions

You don't have to report distribution of regular assets.....only income and gains and the like.

File the 1041 if the gross income is $600 or more though.

martinmarks

estate distributions

pierceMD

estate distributions

Thank you that confirmed my thinking. I think TurboTax should specify that in it's use of the word distribution. It accepted zero income, but it also accepted $1,000,000.00 in distributions.