Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error 5639 and 5642 keeps showing up when we try to file our federal return. please reply.

Error 5639 and 5639 also will not let us file our state return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
stissenko

Error 5639 and 5642 keeps showing up when we try to file our federal return. please reply.

Steps outlined in the links above do not solve the problem.  I am not the only one who has the same issue.  Support personnel is not helpful, since they keep referring to the same links.
brownmal1

I have the same problem.  Now my TurboTax won't open at all.  If I uninstall will my tax file remain?  I'm finally finished with the taxes.  Took 1.5 years and now a bug?  Kinda scare to uninstall at this time

uninstalling the program will not delete any .taxfiles or PDF of the return 

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.
See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Support can also be reached during business hours by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax
brownmal1

Thanks Critter.  Uninstalling and re-downloading didn't fix the problem, but you were right that it didn't delete the tax file neither.

brownmal1

Same issue here

Carl
Level 15

Go through the referenced steps again to uninstall the program and delete the folders referenced. Then instead of "resetting" the update system, completely uninstall those services. To uninstall the update services you first have to stop the services. Open an administrative command prompt and type the following commands.

NET STOP "INTUIT UPDATE SERVICE V4"

NET STOP "INTUIT UPDATE SERVICE"

Now for one of the above you will get a message telling you the service was stopped, and for the other you will get a "service name invalid" message. That's okay. You will only have one of those services on your computer, and I have you type them both to insure you actually stop the service that is installed on your particular computer.

Once the service is stopped, type the following.

SC DELETE "INTUIT UPDATE SERVICE V4"

SC DELETE "INTUIT UPDATE SERVICE"

One of those two commands will actually delete the service from your computer. Once done, restart your computer and run windows update over and over until you are informed that there are no more updates available. Once you get that, restart the computer again to ensure things are "fresh", and then re-install the TurboTax program.

After you install the TurboTax program *DO* *NOT* attempt to open your tax file until *AFTER* the TurboTax program goes online and gets the updates it needs. If the program doesn't do this automatically the first time you start it, then just click ONLINE in the menubar, followed by "Check for Updates".

If this doesn't solve the problem, then your issues are beyond the ability of anyone here or at TurboTax to fix, as it indicates a problem outside of TurboTax. Either corrupt files in the operating system or some other third party program you may have installed.

mgentry_6

Thank you!!!!! I did every troubleshoot out there. This worked

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies