turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adjusted gross income I entered is not matching with my return. I entered 26919.50 and my return says 26920.00 if I submit this will I have a problem with the IRS?

Adjusted gross income I entered is not matching with my return. I entered 26919.50 and my return says 26920.00 if I submit this will I have a problem with the IRS? "
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Adjusted gross income I entered is not matching with my return. I entered 26919.50 and my return says 26920.00 if I submit this will I have a problem with the IRS?

You round up! Cents are not shown on taxes. $26,919.59 and 26,920 are the same number.

The IRS requires this rounding to be done:

Rounding off dollars.    You can round off cents to whole dollars on your return and schedules. If you do round to whole dollars, you must round all amounts. To round, drop amounts under 50 cents and increase amounts from 50 to 99 cents to the next dollar. For example, $1.39 becomes $1 and $2.50 becomes $3.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch01.html

ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Enter the AGI that you literally see on your tax return- tax software would not print numbers with cents.

In the past I have always done my taxes by hand and include cents in all calculations.  No rounding or truncating to whole dollars unless I am forced to; e.g., some State tax forms.

The IRS Form 1040 doesn't force me to round or truncate values, but it is an option for which they have rules to follow.

I don't round or truncate values, thus maintaining a more accurate tax return for future reference.  TurboTax generates a Form 1040 that does not retain the cents; thus lowering the accuracy of the return for future reference.  

Why doesn't TurboTax allow me to retain the accuracy of the cents ?  It would be easy to do, by creating a software switch (option) allowing the user to turn rounding/truncating On or Off. You maintain the accuracy of the numbers entered (include cents) and then only display results on the filled-in tax forms generated using the method selected with The On/Off switch.

If you are buying and selling funds, you wouldn't want you values rounded or truncated.  You would want to maintain at least 3-4 decimal places of accuracy for recalculating your cost-basis when using averaging.

Similarly, I want to be able to generate, print and keep, accurate tax records.
TurboTax is not allowing me to do so.

This is not good !
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies