turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mkenzie78

If union dues are on my W2 in box 14, do i have to add them to my tax return? or can i just leave box 14 blank?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

If union dues are on my W2 in box 14, do i have to add them to my tax return? or can i just leave box 14 blank?

Employers disclose Union Dues paid by employees in Box 14 on Form W-2. 

You can deduct dues and initiation fees you pay for union membership as unreimbursed employee expenses on Line 21 of  Schedule A  (Form 1040) Itemized Deductions. It is in your interest to enter the union dues in Box 14, if you wish to have them included in your return for possible deduction on Schedule A.

There are two main types of tax deductions: the standard deduction and itemized deductions. You can claim one type of deduction on your tax return, but not both.

For example, if you claim the standard deduction, you cannot itemize deductions – and vice versa (if you itemize deductions, you cannot claim the standard deduction). You are allowed to use whichever type of deduction results in the lowest tax.

As you work on your income tax return in TurboTax, after you have entered your personal information in the Personal Info section, and then your wages and other income details for the tax year in the Federal Taxes section, TurboTax will ask you a series of questions regarding possible deductions you may be able to claim on your return.  Based on the information which you enter for your deductions, TurboTax will calculate for you whether it will be more beneficial for you to claim the standard deduction, which varies according to which filing status you claim, or to itemize your deductions.

Unless the total of your itemized deductions claimed on Form 1040 Schedule A exceed your standard deduction, it is more beneficial for you to claim the standard deduction.

Here are the standard deduction amounts for the 2016 tax year:

Filing Status                            Standard Deduction

Single                                      $6,300

Married Filing Jointly               $12,600

Married Filing Separately        $6,300

Head of Household                 $9,300

Qualifying Widow(er)              $12,600

Please note that there is an additional standard deduction for elderly or blind taxpayers, which is $1,250 for tax year 2016. The additional standard deduction amount increases to $1,550 if the individual is also unmarried and not a qualifying widow(er).

TurboTax has several, very informative guides regarding how to itemize your deductions:

Tax Deduction Wisdom - Should You Itemize?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/Tax-Deduction-Wisdom---Sho...

How to Maximize Your Itemized Tax Deductions

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/How-to-Maximize-Your-Itemi...

Please also see instructions for IRS Form 1040 Schedule A, Itemized Deductions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sca.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnR1

Employers disclose Union Dues paid by employees in Box 14 on Form W-2. 

You can deduct dues and initiation fees you pay for union membership as unreimbursed employee expenses on Line 21 of  Schedule A  (Form 1040) Itemized Deductions. It is in your interest to enter the union dues in Box 14, if you wish to have them included in your return for possible deduction on Schedule A.

There are two main types of tax deductions: the standard deduction and itemized deductions. You can claim one type of deduction on your tax return, but not both.

For example, if you claim the standard deduction, you cannot itemize deductions – and vice versa (if you itemize deductions, you cannot claim the standard deduction). You are allowed to use whichever type of deduction results in the lowest tax.

As you work on your income tax return in TurboTax, after you have entered your personal information in the Personal Info section, and then your wages and other income details for the tax year in the Federal Taxes section, TurboTax will ask you a series of questions regarding possible deductions you may be able to claim on your return.  Based on the information which you enter for your deductions, TurboTax will calculate for you whether it will be more beneficial for you to claim the standard deduction, which varies according to which filing status you claim, or to itemize your deductions.

Unless the total of your itemized deductions claimed on Form 1040 Schedule A exceed your standard deduction, it is more beneficial for you to claim the standard deduction.

Here are the standard deduction amounts for the 2016 tax year:

Filing Status                            Standard Deduction

Single                                      $6,300

Married Filing Jointly               $12,600

Married Filing Separately        $6,300

Head of Household                 $9,300

Qualifying Widow(er)              $12,600

Please note that there is an additional standard deduction for elderly or blind taxpayers, which is $1,250 for tax year 2016. The additional standard deduction amount increases to $1,550 if the individual is also unmarried and not a qualifying widow(er).

TurboTax has several, very informative guides regarding how to itemize your deductions:

Tax Deduction Wisdom - Should You Itemize?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/Tax-Deduction-Wisdom---Sho...

How to Maximize Your Itemized Tax Deductions

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/How-to-Maximize-Your-Itemi...

Please also see instructions for IRS Form 1040 Schedule A, Itemized Deductions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sca.pdf

mkenzie78

Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies