Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tagavey

Electronic Postmark - Certificate of Electronic Filing

I have an issue with the time stamp generated for this form for when the Federal Tax Return was submitted.  This year I e-filed my return prior to midnight on 17 May.  After submission I signed off my computer.  The next morning I checked my email and found a response from indicating that both my Federal and State returns had been rejected.  Those emails where time stamped at 12:32 am (EDT) 18 May.  I checked my entered AGI and Pins as directed and resubmitted.  At 11:02 am (EDT) 18 May, I received a second rejection notice for my federal and state returns.   From there I printed out my tax returns for mailing and noticed the Electronic Postmark - Certificate of Electronic Filing.  The form indicates that my Federal return was rejected by the IRS and submitted at 07:44 PDT 18 May.

Here are my issues:

1.  My supposition is that the Electronic Postmark is an indicator to the IRS and the State that I filed my return on time.  But that is not what is indicated on the form.  If says that I filed late and if I owe money that would result in a penalty. 

2.  After my returns were rejected a second time, the program provides no other option than to submit via mail. And let's not kid ourselves, it will be longer than the 4-6 weeks that you indicate.  I can't believe that there is no other way to remediate this issue to be able to file electronically, all for the sake of protecting ones identity.  I don't know where the issue is but my 2019 AGI was taken straight off last years return.  If I had known this was going to be an issue, I would have filled out my taxes by hand and saved myself the $60.00 purchasing Turbo Tax.  Lesson learned for next year.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

You should have received two emails - the first that said you transmitted your tax return (that it the one that proves timely filing) and the second with the first reject.   The postmark is the last thing that you did.

If rejected because of AGI then:

See this TurboTax FAQ on how to find your AGI

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

You can get free 2019 tax transcript from the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If you filed late last year there is a good chance that the 2019 AGI never was entered into the e-file database. Try using 0 (zero) for the AGI.

If you filed an amended return use the AGI on the first filed tax return.

If it continues to reject then the AGI in the IRS database might be in error. Mail filing is the only option.

Also see: https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/are-irs-security-tools-blocking-millions-people-filing-electr...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2021/04/26/are-irs-security-tools-blocking-millions-of-p...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
MOFS
Level 1

Same thing happened to be. My question is:  Do I need to include the "Postmarked" pages in both Federal and State filled forms OR only the Federal and State filled forms without the "Postmarked" pages WHEN MAILING respectively?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you e-filed your return, you do not mail your forms in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MOFS
Level 1

Turbotax asked me to mail (not e-file) after the IRS rejection to resolve the AGI issue. When I printed my forms I got those "Postmarked" pages. Now, when I mail my documents/forms to the IRS and State, do I need to include those Postmarked pages?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

No, but I would verify first that they if they were efiled even though you it said to mail. The postmarked pages wouldn't appear if you didn't efile. Look at the IRS website Where's My Refund and see if it shows there. IRS.gov

MOFS
Level 1

I tried the e-filing first but there was some error related to the wrong AGI input, which I'm sure that I used correct AGI number (from my last form). Due to this my Federal and State returns were rejected. Now the Turbotax support representative told me to mail the retun instead of trying to e-file again (as it was rejected twice when e-filed). So, now I am mailing and when I printed my forms/tax files, I got those "Postmarked" pages (that were included in the printouts in the forms). Since the "Postmarked" pages were Turbotax's own documents not any Federal or State forms, I just want to know whether I should include those "Postmarked" pages or not when mailing to the IRS and State?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

No, do not include them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies