turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EIN number with IRS

EIN Number with IRS

Years ago I requested with the IRS a EIN number because my identity had been stolen and I was doing alot of freelancing.  I also have used it in place of my SSI # at W-2 jobs were I did not feel comfortable providing it.  I am concern that perhaps my wages from 2018 & 2017 were not reported to Social Security or IRS for proper amounts because I used this number instead of my SSI #.  I was told by IRS originally it didnt matter because they were linked.  I can't get a hold of anyone at IRS and I don't know if I should be alarmed and requesting W-2's with my SSI number  for those tax years.  I also tried to get into my IRS file and there is no reference about me creating this years ago.  Any advice would be helpful.

•  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

EIN number with IRS

Although your EIN may be linked with your social security number for IRS purposes, this may not be true with Social Security Administration.  Your EIN is an Employer Identification Number used by businesses (employers) to report Wages, Federal Withholding's, Social Security, Medicare payments by way of W-2's/W-3's.  It is also used to file business returns, for business identification, and business loans.  Your Social Security Number is needed by businesses to report to the IRS your wages, withholding's, social security payments, and medicare payments made on your behalf.  

To contact the IRS, please call 1-800-829-1040 between the hours of 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. 

To contact Social Security Administration contact 1-800-772-1213.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

EIN number with IRS

My concern is whether or not using an EIN will report to the Social Security department of my wages. Someone suggested running a my tax account transcript with the IRS.  My question to that person was what will this report show?  They advised it should show what was reported to IRS.  But now I am more concern that if it doesn't will I have to re-request a new W-2 with the SSI # and then amend the returns?  thoughts?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

EIN number with IRS

Each year you filed a return for your business, under the EIN, showing income. Then that business was reported on your personal income via a K-1 or a schedule C. Everything should have been reported all together by the end of each year.

Did you not file tax returns on the income you earned under the business EIN? OR did you not file a personal tax return each year with your social security number and include your business income?

Both should have been done each year. You should file any missing returns. The transcript will show what has been reported by others. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies