Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LJones50

Down loading a second Turbotax

I use Turbotax for myself and my family.  I loaded the Premier on my computer because I had a rental property that I was doing taxes on.  I have used all five E-files so I purchased another Turbotax, Deluxe.  That would give me five more E-files.  When I load the Deluxe on my computer, it opens up as the Premier.  I removed the Premier from my computer and reloaded the Deluxe.  When I opened the Turbotax again, it opened as the Premier even though I deleted it from my computer.  I am trying to get more E-files to finish my taxes for family members. How do I get beyond this problem?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The number of e-files is limited to only 5 when using a personal tax preparation software program.  This number is set by the IRS and cannot be changed.

You need to get a refund for the Deluxe program you purchased.

you don't,

Buying another TurboTax does not get your 5 more efiles....the 5 is an IRS limitation.

Get a refund for that second copy. and stick with your original Premier.

Any more must be printed and mail-filed.

Only professional preparers with Professional software can e-file more than 5.

(Hope you got your own e-filed with one of the first 5...if you didn't, then you need to remember that for next year)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

If some of the returns are very simple they could use the Online Free Edition or IRS Free File.  Something to remember for next year.  

There is a way to have 2 licenses. Under Help - Switch Product - Activate new product.  Don't know what that will do or what benefit you will get.  Don't think it will allow you to efile more than 5.  

One user wanted to buy another license and found…..
There are other reasons why I wanted my own licensed copy, and I was wanting to know how to apply said license. I went ahead and purchased the new license and I found that there is a 'help / switch product / Activate New Product' option, and there I was able to enter the new license. After doing this, I can see both new and old licenses in that 'switch product' dialog.

Employee said….. With TurboTax desktop open:
Select Help in the upper left corner
Move your cursor down to Switch product
Select H&B
Follow the onscreen prompts

LJones50

I do understand that only five E-files can be used with one software download.  However, buying another Turbotax should allow you to have another five E-files.  Who is to say that I bought that software, someone else could be using it.  I did install it on another computer that did not have TurboTax installed and it worked.  The only problem is that it will not work on a computer that already has a TurboTax installed on it.  I don't understand that because it is registered to the same Intuit account.  Thank you for your help.

5 efiles is an IRS limit per computer and email address.  I think it's to prevent fraud and people filing a lot of fake returns

Read the IRS rules and restrictions  for self-prepared  e-file providers.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345.pdf

Page 31

5. Ensure that it does not transmit or accept for transmission more than five electronic returns originating from one software package or from one e-mail address;

This requirement is spelled out in detail  in the ERO providers contract with the IRS.

And to prepare more than five e-files, you will need to sign up with the IRS as an ERO - an Electronic Returns Originator.  How to become an Authorized E-file Provider…..

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Become-an-Authorized-e-file-Provide...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies