Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sto

In Box 14 I got UI/DB 9.00. What category do I select?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Don't even worry about it.  You can even choose not to enter it, or simply select a category of "Other".

In the main Box 14 is simply a "memo" field where your employer communicates some information about your W-2 to you.  And, in the main, entering Box 14 information, or not, doesn't affect your income tax return one way or the other.  And since Box 14 contains memo information employers can and do put all sorts of abbreviated "explanations" next to those dollar amounts.

There are a few exceptions to the generalization that entering Box 14 information, or not, won't affect your income tax return and TurboTax is programmed to identify - or try to identify - some of the more common items.  For example, if you enter "CASDI" in the "title" box and some dollars in the "amount" box of Box 14, TurboTax recognizes that as "California State Disability Insurance" and puts the dollar amount on Schedule A as an itemized deduction. 

I would guess that UI/DB might stand for "Unemployment Insurance/Disability Benefits", probably something charged by whatever state you live in, and maybe it could be deducted on Schedule A, or maybe not, but if you are using the Free Edition you can't itemize because the Free Edition doesn't support Schedule A.  So for that reason, and for the reason that even if you could deduct it a deduction of $9 probably wouldn't even affect your income taxes, I say "Don't worry."

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Don't even worry about it.  You can even choose not to enter it, or simply select a category of "Other".

In the main Box 14 is simply a "memo" field where your employer communicates some information about your W-2 to you.  And, in the main, entering Box 14 information, or not, doesn't affect your income tax return one way or the other.  And since Box 14 contains memo information employers can and do put all sorts of abbreviated "explanations" next to those dollar amounts.

There are a few exceptions to the generalization that entering Box 14 information, or not, won't affect your income tax return and TurboTax is programmed to identify - or try to identify - some of the more common items.  For example, if you enter "CASDI" in the "title" box and some dollars in the "amount" box of Box 14, TurboTax recognizes that as "California State Disability Insurance" and puts the dollar amount on Schedule A as an itemized deduction. 

I would guess that UI/DB might stand for "Unemployment Insurance/Disability Benefits", probably something charged by whatever state you live in, and maybe it could be deducted on Schedule A, or maybe not, but if you are using the Free Edition you can't itemize because the Free Edition doesn't support Schedule A.  So for that reason, and for the reason that even if you could deduct it a deduction of $9 probably wouldn't even affect your income taxes, I say "Don't worry."

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies