turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax handle cross account wash sale cost adjustments? What about wash sales when options of that stock are involved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does TurboTax handle cross account wash sale cost adjustments? What about wash sales when options of that stock are involved?

"Does TurboTax handle cross account wash sale cost adjustments?"

No it does not.  TurboTax deals entirely with what's on the 1099-B and what you enter.

"What about wash sales when options of that stock are involved?"

Same answer.  If the wash sale situation isn't noted on the 1099-B TurboTax has no way of somehow "knowing" you're in that situation.

If you are in a wash sale loss situation and it's not on the 1099-B then it's your responsibility to report it.  The Form 8949 instructions tell you to enter a code of "W" in column (f) of the Form 8949 and the necessary adjustment in column (g).  Short of working in Forms Mode - only available in the desktop versions - there's no way to do that in TurboTax.  What I would do in this case is click on the blue "I'll enter additional info on my own" button and correct the basis on the following page.  That will put a code of "B" in column (f) of Form 8949 and the correct adjustment in column (g).  That gets your taxable income properly stated and if your income is properly stated the IRS simply can't bust your chops over an incorrect code.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"Does TurboTax handle cross account wash sale cost adjustments?"

No it does not.  TurboTax deals entirely with what's on the 1099-B and what you enter.

"What about wash sales when options of that stock are involved?"

Same answer.  If the wash sale situation isn't noted on the 1099-B TurboTax has no way of somehow "knowing" you're in that situation.

If you are in a wash sale loss situation and it's not on the 1099-B then it's your responsibility to report it.  The Form 8949 instructions tell you to enter a code of "W" in column (f) of the Form 8949 and the necessary adjustment in column (g).  Short of working in Forms Mode - only available in the desktop versions - there's no way to do that in TurboTax.  What I would do in this case is click on the blue "I'll enter additional info on my own" button and correct the basis on the following page.  That will put a code of "B" in column (f) of Form 8949 and the correct adjustment in column (g).  That gets your taxable income properly stated and if your income is properly stated the IRS simply can't bust your chops over an incorrect code.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies