Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Turbotax automatically handle balancing short term losses and gains between different brokers?

I'm doing some tax loss harvesting between accounts and this is my first time with multiple brokers so I was wondering if it would be handled automatically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Does Turbotax automatically handle balancing short term losses and gains between different brokers?

@hiddenpower wrote:

I'm doing some tax loss harvesting between accounts and this is my first time with multiple brokers so I was wondering if it would be handled automatically?

TurboTax will handle this scenario automatically in the sense that the program will use capital losses to offset capital gains, the fact that tax reporting statements are entered from different brokers notwithstanding.

However, the program will not automatically handle wash sales between different brokers; you need to track wash sales that may occur as a result of having more than one brokerage account yourself.

Thanks! That's what I figured, my intent is to consolidate accounts to just keep it simple!

You also have to watch the holding period. in the case of a wash sale the holding period of the wash sale shares tacks on to the holding period of the replacement shares so you can end up with a long-term transaction rather than a short-term one.

I don't think the holding period tacks on to replacement asset at all. You're buying a non-similar equity to do the tax loss harvesting on

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies