Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TubroTax pay for my taxes out of the bank acct info i have provided or do I need to pay on appropriate separate websites?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Does TubroTax pay for my taxes out of the bank acct info i have provided or do I need to pay on appropriate separate websites?

TurboTax does not pay any type of taxes owed, federal or state.

If you have selected to have the taxes owed paid from your bank account by direct debit and have provided the bank routing and account number, that information is sent with the federal tax return and the IRS then debits your account.

For your federal tax due, you can choose to have a debit from your account to pay your federal tax due, and the IRS will pull the payment--do not think of it as TurboTax "paying" though--all TT does it provide the information to the IRS.  If you enter it incorrectly, the payment will not be pulled.   Or you can mail a check or money order with the 1040V for your return.  Or pay on the IRS direct pay site:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

If you owe state tax due, pay the state by check or money order, or go on the state's tax website to pay.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

TTX never pays  but:

1)  IF you provide your bank info in the tax software for Direct-Debit payment as a part of the filing process.....then that info is just passed on to the IRS and State as a part of your tax documents....and then the IRS or state does the debit .  Turbotax has no part in the actual debit process other than letting you enter your bank info into your tax files for the IRS and State to deal with.

.....a) the tax files must be fully "accepted" by the Feds and State......not just transmitted to them.   If the tax files are rejected, then they do not keep any of that information and you must correct the problem in your file and re-e-file...and wait for a full acceptance before any debiting will be done.

....b) But some care is needed here....some/many states do not allow a direct debit to be arranged with your state tax return e-file......check your "Electronic Filing Instructions" PDF printouts carefully to make absolutely sure you have arranged the Debit..

2) Even with an e-filed set of tax returns, you can choose to say you will pay separately during the filing process  (I think you just indicate that you will pay by check).  In that case, after your e-file is accepted, you can mail in a check with a payment voucher to each tax authority, or you can also go to the IRS website and the State's own website to pay each if you want to Direct Debit instead and ignore the payment vouchers.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies