Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

does State filing change if living outside of US for more than 6 months?

I live in CT but spent over 6 months outside of US.  Does it change how I would file my state tax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

For 2023 you are a part-year resident of Connecticut - unless you are maintaining a tax home in Connecticut (ie, using it as your address).  Either way you still need to file Connecticut taxes.  You can take a credit for any foreign taxes that you pay, however.

For 2024 you will be eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion.  It can exempt anything you earn from US taxes.  

@Love2Bike 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Did you work and earn income while you were outside of the U.S?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I worked remotely from outside of US for a company that's registered in CT.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you plan on returning to Connecticut when you are done with your endeavor outside of the country, then you are still considered a resident of the state, just as if you had never left.

Sorry I am not quite sure I understand what you mean.  Whether I return or not and for how long - that would be a question for the following tax year I assume?

My question is on what has already happened in 2023 I was absent living abroad for 8 months, would that affect how I now file my 2023 CT tax return?  Would/could I file it any differently that would/could change things materially?  

I am planning to stay abroad for the entire year of 2024, wouldn't that make any difference in state tax filing since technically I didn't live in the state for the tax year?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

For 2023 you are a part-year resident of Connecticut - unless you are maintaining a tax home in Connecticut (ie, using it as your address).  Either way you still need to file Connecticut taxes.  You can take a credit for any foreign taxes that you pay, however.

For 2024 you will be eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion.  It can exempt anything you earn from US taxes.  

@Love2Bike 

Thank you for the clarification.   I think the keyword here is "tax home" regardless where you live.

I work remotely for a US company and there are no foreign taxes where I am staying for that type of engagement so no exclusions.  In this case I will just file it as usual since I keep my "tax home" in CT.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies