Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

markthomas1-
Returning Member

Does my wife have to file if we are filing separately and she on disability

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CynthiaR

If your wife is on disability income from her job then it is taxable income.   She would have to file a tax return if you are filing separately.

If she is on social security disability then it would be taxable income if she is filing married filing separately.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CynthiaR

If your wife is on disability income from her job then it is taxable income.   She would have to file a tax return if you are filing separately.

If she is on social security disability then it would be taxable income if she is filing married filing separately.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Social security (SS)  only becomes taxable when added to sufficient other income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.
There is a special rule that says SS becomes taxable at zero ($0) other income when Filing as Married Filing Separately (MFS). The calculation is a little complicated. But, a simple answer is: she does not need to file is she has less than $12,000 income, including SS.

You may be thinking that  filing MFS is going to save you money, because you don't have to add her income to your return. That thinking is wrong. The doubled standard deduction will wipe out all her income, on a joint return. But you will still get the use the lower joint filing rates.
Before making a decision to file as MFS, you should run test returns and compare. You can use this tool: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies