turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbloomtx

Will I be able to open Turbo Tax on my Mac desktop from files I downloaded from CD to my flash drive on a PC desktop and if so, how?

CD drive in my Mac is jammed so cannot use CD on my Mac desktop; tried this maneuver of transferring files from CD to my flash drive, but this was performed on my daughter's PC computer.  When I try to open the exe file inside the TurboTax folder, I get a message stating "applications from Microsoft Windows cannot be opened on this Mac".    Did using a PC computer to copy files off CD cause  the incompatibility issue?   I am really trying to avoid paying twice for my TurboTax-- but today is The Day I have time to work on taxes and will have to pay for online version if I cannot get this to work quickly. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will I be able to open Turbo Tax on my Mac desktop from files I downloaded from CD to my flash drive on a PC desktop and if so, how?

After you have the 2016 online return started and finished, follow the steps below to transfer to desktop -

1. Log into your TurboTax Online Account and select Take Me to My Return
  2. In the blue banner at the top, click on My Account and select Tools from the dropdown menu
  3. In the small box that populates, click on Save your 2016 return to your Computer (try to save to an easy-to-find location such as My Documents or Desktop)
  4. This will download a .tax2016 file to your computer - make note of where that file is saved to on your computer
  5. Sign out of TurboTax Online and, if you haven't done so already, install TurboTax 2016 CD/Download and install any updates. Windows | Mac
  6. Important:  If you Online return already contains one or more states, you must install those states in your desktop program also; otherwise, you will receive errors when you attempt to open your return.  You can install states by going to:  for Windows, the menu item Online (next to help) > Download State and, for Mac, the menu item TurboTax(next to your Apple Icon) > Download State.
  7. Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return.
  8. Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file in step 3, select it, and then click Open.
  9. Choose File > Save.
  10. (Optional) Once you are satisfied that your online returns transferred over properly, you can clear your Online return.  Note:  This will remove your data online, so I would recommend waiting until you have at least filed your return before clearing any online data, but the choice is yours.

Now, you should have your 2016 return on your computer and can continue to use the desktop software program to finish filing your return.  

**Follow these steps to be connected to TurboTax support:

• Sign into your TurboTax account
  • Click on Contact Us (upper right hand corner of blue banner) or ou can contact phone support though this link here
  • Briefly state your situation
  • Click Submit
  • On the next page, choose what Call option you want (callback) and follow the instructions

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Do you have the actual physical CD or is it stuck in the CD drive of the MAC?  If I read this correctly, your MAC Cd drive is broken, so you want to use the PC instead or do you still want to use the MAC and are trying to copy the files?
sbloomtx

some other CD is stuck in the CD drive.    I need to use my computer for taxes, not my daughter's PC-- but I DID use her PC to download files from TurboTax CD to my flashdrive, hoping I could then copy those to my Mac desktop and open and use.    Stuck on the opening on the Mac step.

Ok, yea its one of those things that in theory should work, but practically there is probably some files that aren't being copied properly or there is a conversion problem.

Can you install the CD onto the PC for filing purposes at least?  I can give you instructions on how you could use the TurboTax Online program to complete your return and then transfer your work from online to the desktop.  You could then use the PC just to file your return so you don't have to worry about paying for the online program.
sbloomtx

Yes, I could do that.... assume you mean I can be given "credit" for purchasing TurboTax CD and somehow get authorization to download the Online Program without paying again for program?

With the online program, you pay at the end during the filing process.  So, you can actually complete your entire return and then instead of filing and paying online, follow the steps below and you will transfer your .tax file (its the same file that gets created on your computer when you use the desktop) from online to desktop and use the desktop program to open it up.  Then, you can finish filing on the desktop.

If you want, you can also call phone support and ask for a download of the MAC program.  They will probably ask for some information about your CD and then issue you a download to use.  I have included contact information for support below also.  But, I don't know what the phone wait times are like and if you want to call.

A PC does not ordinarily recognize Mac files.  You might try this:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203973">https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203973</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

After you have the 2016 online return started and finished, follow the steps below to transfer to desktop -

1. Log into your TurboTax Online Account and select Take Me to My Return
  2. In the blue banner at the top, click on My Account and select Tools from the dropdown menu
  3. In the small box that populates, click on Save your 2016 return to your Computer (try to save to an easy-to-find location such as My Documents or Desktop)
  4. This will download a .tax2016 file to your computer - make note of where that file is saved to on your computer
  5. Sign out of TurboTax Online and, if you haven't done so already, install TurboTax 2016 CD/Download and install any updates. Windows | Mac
  6. Important:  If you Online return already contains one or more states, you must install those states in your desktop program also; otherwise, you will receive errors when you attempt to open your return.  You can install states by going to:  for Windows, the menu item Online (next to help) > Download State and, for Mac, the menu item TurboTax(next to your Apple Icon) > Download State.
  7. Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return.
  8. Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file in step 3, select it, and then click Open.
  9. Choose File > Save.
  10. (Optional) Once you are satisfied that your online returns transferred over properly, you can clear your Online return.  Note:  This will remove your data online, so I would recommend waiting until you have at least filed your return before clearing any online data, but the choice is yours.

Now, you should have your 2016 return on your computer and can continue to use the desktop software program to finish filing your return.  

**Follow these steps to be connected to TurboTax support:

• Sign into your TurboTax account
  • Click on Contact Us (upper right hand corner of blue banner) or ou can contact phone support though this link here
  • Briefly state your situation
  • Click Submit
  • On the next page, choose what Call option you want (callback) and follow the instructions
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies