turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax last year said that I have an office deduction carryover. When filing now I do not see that carryover anywhere being auto populated. So where do I add this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MichaelDC

Turbo tax last year said that I have an office deduction carryover. When filing now I do not see that carryover anywhere being auto populated. So where do I add this?

Do you have a profit in the business this year? Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.  

Even though it should have transferred from last year, as you go through the home office expenses for your business, be sure that when you enter the date that the office was first used for business that it is not a date in 2017.  If the first use date is in the current year, the question about a carryover amount will not be generated.

Then, continue through all of the home office expenses (after the home office expense summary) until you get to a screen with the title, “Did you have any home office expenses not deducted in a prior year?” where you will answer Yes and then enter the amounts.

I did not have a profit this year. And the question "did you have any home office expenses not deducted in a prior year" did not show up.   Is this a 197 carryover? Or a passive carryover?
MichaelDC

OK. The home office deduction is limited each year to the profit of the business. In other words, the home office can't help you get a bigger loss. That's why you didn't get the question. By the way, it's neither a 197 or passive loss carryover. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
thezipman

Thanks, wrong business date was my issue.

As mentioned in information about this subject, it states: "Even though it should have transferred from last year, as you go through the home office expenses for your business, be sure that when you enter the date that the office was first used for business that it is not a date in 2017."  Why wouldn't you enter a 2017 date for when the office was first used?  Thanks.

This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

Thanks for your reply, but does that mean the 2017 has nothing to do with the issue?  i.e. we started our business in 2017 ... but as I understand it now, because we don't have a profit this year nor last year (thank you COVID!!) this carryover will continue to be "carried over" until we show a profit again, correct?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies