turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdrennen9

Do I put 0 or 1 on a Form W4 for Tax Withholding Allowance?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of writing 0 and 1 and which one is better? I want to get the mimumin amount of withholding from my paycheck so that I can get paid more and not less. I am single and I am claiming myself and I have no dependents.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM

Do I put 0 or 1 on a Form W4 for Tax Withholding Allowance?

The higher the number, the less tax will be taken out of your pay.  So zero would result in the greatest withholding.  But there's a push-pull between withholding amounts and the tax calculation on your tax return:  the more you have withheld, the less you'll owe come tax time, and vice versa.  It's the tax return where the final tally is made; withholding is simply an estimate.

In your case, as a single filer without dependents, 1 allowance on your W-4 would be appropriate.

In addition to your W-2, if you are also paid on a 1099-MISC for side work as an independent contractor, then you may want to make estimated tax payments, since there's usually no withholding on 1099-MISC income.  Estimated payments allow you to "prepay" some of your taxes, thus reducing your bill at tax time.  You can read about estimated payments here:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies