Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file federal before state (California, FTB)? Will I have enough time to file state taxes by 10/16/23?

There's a few things I need to figure out before filing my federal taxes. I've gone through the state taxes on the FTB site, and I'm close to filing that. Do I need to file federal taxes and get it accepted/approved by IRS before I file my state taxes through the FTB site? It takes about 24-48 hours to get it accepted by IRS, so do I have time to file my state taxes by the extended deadline of Monday 10/16/23? I'd rather file it earlier, though, in case there are any problems. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I need to file federal before state (California, FTB)? Will I have enough time to file state taxes by 10/16/23?

you can e-file federal and state at the same time. you cannot e-file any state before the federal is e-filed. 

if federal is rejected so will state. you have a few days to correct and re-e-file 

It is not possible to e-file your state return until your federal return has been e-filed.   If you cannot meet the October 16 filing deadline, then after that, you will have to file both by mail.  E-filing will close down after the deadline.   Users whose e-files are rejected on 10-16 will get five extra days to fix their rejected e-files and try again.   But you will not be able to try to e-file for the "first" time after 10-16.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies