Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Do I need to correct Form 4868 federal tax extension if there is an error ? Possible TurboTax Form error - wrong balance due on form !

22.0414 filing a 2021 extension just in case I don't have time to complete return by April 18 2022 deadline.  

I'm miffed & puzzled on TurboTax (TT) online extension.

I have TT on my computer.  I completed extension only to discover I can not e-file.  So, I ventured to TT online and input same #s.

line 4, positive #

line 5, positive larger #

line 6, per instruction, should be a ZERO (is on Mac software).

Online extension though, line 6 showed me owing what I should be receiving.  Unfortunately, I did not discover TT ERROR (because no preview function is available) until I downloaded the form, after being submitted.

... I don't think I'll have an issue because I'm owed money.  However, this is unnecessary anxiety.

Do I need to correct Form 4868 federal tax extension if there is an error ? Possible TurboTax Form error - wrong balance due on form !

I had the exact same problem using TurboTax online. IRS owes me a refund. Turbotax did not put 0 in line 6. I spent 3 hours talking with multiple TurboTax reps on the phone. No one could fix the problem. One rep even told me that the form was not designed for extensions with tax refunds !!!!   I could have completed the filing of my taxes in less time than the time spent dealing with TurboTax"s ineptitude. This is unacceptable. Does anyone have a recommendation for another online Tax service that allows viewing the 4868 form prior to transmitting to IRS ?

Just filed for an extension right now via TurboTax e-file, and had the same exact problem when I looked at the submitted Form 4868. Good to read that the IRS does not seem to mind, but a little concerning the problem isn't fixed, nor the ability to look at the 4868 before submission. 

Ann61

It just happened to us too. You would think they would have corrected an error such as this by now...

Just want to add this error only occurs on the e-filed federal tax extension on Turbotax website. I initially used the desktop version of TurboTax to generate Form 4868, which calculated the balance of 0 correctly. But since the desktop version has no option to e-file, and makes you print and mail out the form, I opted to go on the website and file the extension there instead.

tekpc81

I felt the same way. Turbotax screwed up and now for those of us who are expecting a refund and filed for an extension will be scrutinized because of the incorrect calculations provided. I wonder what else they screwed up now on the tax forms..... 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

It won't be scrutinized.   People expecting refunds file extensions all the time, as a 'just in case' precaution.    The numbers (tax liability, expected refund, expected balance due) on Form 4868 are meaningless.   The IRS created the form years ago and most of it is simply not important - but you have to enter something in order to electronically file it.   As long as it shows accepted, you are fine.  

It would not matter if you said you were expecting a $20k refund or if you thought you were going to owe a million dollars.    I have filed an extension and told the IRS I thought I owed $750,000 - nothing happened.   I filed the return 5 months later and paid the $138 I owed with a small amount of interest.   There is no penalty for estimating wrong.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DawnC 

If you deliberately or even not deliberately, underestimate the final  tax due, and include nothing or only a token amount with Form 4868, IRS can ,deny your extension.

Some states deny extensions for underpayment of tax, but the IRS does not.   There is no provision in federal tax law that denies the extension for lack of payment.  However, late payment penalties accrue immediately along with interest.

While you're required to "properly estimate" you're not required to pay (it even says this on the form instructions, though those aren't binding law.)   The IRS will not deny your extension so long as it is filed on time.

@SDun12 

It says it right in the instructions for Form 4868, which you should review.

"Make your estimate as accurate as you can with the
information you have. If we later find that the estimate
wasn’t reasonable, the extension will be null and void."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies