turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddgandhi5
Returning Member

Do I include my dependent's (father) 1095-A as a part my tax return?

If I claim my father as my dependent on my tax return, do I include his 1095-A if he received insurance through the healthcare marketplace?  I received a 1095-C from my employer.  Also would I have file a tax return for my father just because he received a 1095-A, if he didn't have any taxable income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

Yes, include form 1095-A in your income tax return. Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, provides you with information about your health care coverage if you or someone in your family enrolled in coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

• Use the information from Form 1095-A to complete Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, and reconcile advance payments of the premium tax credit or – if you are eligible – to claim the premium tax credit on your tax return.

Since your father is your dependent and he has no income, he would not file an income tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a follow-up question to this: what if the father in question is married and will file jointly (only to receive a refund)? Per IRS rules, I know he can still be claimed as a dependent in this case. But would form 1095-A be used on his tax filings or on the child's (who will claim him as a dependent)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies