Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
LG38

Do I have to give my SSN to a client?

I've got a client whom I've done a lot of work for, mostly home organizing, also running errands, every once in a while I watched their kid. I had my last day with them on Tuesday. Now Thursday they asked for my SSN and address for taxes. Am I required to give them this? This seems odd of them to ask after I'm done working for them. 

They found me via Care .com and never asked me to fill out paperwork.

I consider myself self employed as I offer organizing to the general public and have other clients.

tagteam

Do I have to give my SSN to a client?

If you do not want to provide your SSN, get an EIN from the IRS.

See https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...

rjs

Do I have to give my SSN to a client?

They need your address and tax ID number (SSN or EIN) in order to claim the child care credit for the amount they paid you for watching the child. They wouldn't need it for the organizing and errands.

LG38

Do I have to give my SSN to a client?

Thanks for the input but I'm wondering is this required after I don't work for them anymore?

rjs

Do I have to give my SSN to a client?

You are required to give them the information because you did provide child care for them. The fact that you have stopped working for them does not relieve you of that requirement.

Do I have to give my SSN to a client?

@LG38 wrote:

If they give you a W-10 to get your SSN for the child care credit, you can be penalized by the IRS if you don't provide it.

If you work in their home as a household employee (nanny), they are required to issue you a W-2 if they pay you more than $2200 in a year.  They may give you an I-9 form to get your SSN.  You can be penalized if you don't provide it.  

If you do other odd jobs, they may give you a W-9 to request your tax number.  Again, you can be penalized if you don't provide it.  

If you are self-employed performing general personal services (including child care), you will file a schedule C to report your business income and expenses, instead of getting W-2.  You can get a federal tax number for your business and use that so you don't have to hand out your SSN.  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...

However, If you worked in their home as their employee, you are required to give your SSN, not an EIN.