Do I have to file taxes on casual art sales?

I have a full time job which is the main source of my income but I also do make some money throughout the year selling my artwork, paintings, pottery, etc. online and locally, but don't consider it self-employment and don't really have records of a lot of the sales. Do I file taxes for that income and, if so, how?

It sounds like you are treating your art sales as a hobby and not a business.  It is important to note that all income, unless specifically excluded by the Code, is taxable.  Your art sales are required to be reported as Other Income, which will appear on line 21, of page 1 of the Form 1040.   You will need to recap your sales records to report your art sales for 2013.   Going forward into this year, you should keep track of all sales made (date and amount).  As a hobby, you can deduct any hobby expenses as a miscellaneous deduction on Schedule A (to the extent of hobby income).   If you take the standard deduction and do not itemize, you still need to report the art sales as other income. 

If you have additional questions, make a comment here (do not start a new question) and we will continue to help you.

Thanks for using TurboTax!

Thanks for using TurboTax!

Hi, I have a similar situation to sduyer:  I earn my income through being a health professional, but I started a photography business this past year.  Have registered the business with the state and have an EIN #.  I show my work a lot, have a lot of art expenses, but haven't made much profit.  Occasionally I'll sell something, but I don't support myself through artwork yet.  I'm planning to list 2 separate business: the photo business and the health professional business.  is this the right approach?  thanks, denise

I am in a similar circumstance as the original poster; except, I've not yet sold works.   How does this affect my personal tax rate?   At what point do you determine when your hobby becomes a business?   Is the dollar amount a factor?  For example, say I intend to sell prints of my works at some point, but still as a part of my hobby (ie: it's not my primary source of income).   How does that change my tax rate?    My biggest concern is having the gov't take too much of what I've worked so hard to create (aren't we all).   Say I sell about 10k of artwork as my hobby, how much of that will go to taxes?

I have a similar question.  I am an art student.  People are starting to ask me about selling my art, but I am not sure about how to go about it.  If I sell something and charge sales tax, where/when/how do I report that sales tax to pay back the government?  Is it when I file for income taxes each year or is there a separate process to report sales tax on items sold?  And if I am only selling a couple of items a year, do I need to declare myself as a business?