If you are a single person who is not claimed as a dependent, your filing requirement is $10,300 if under age 65. $11,900 if 65 and older.
If you are below these amounts you are not required to file, but if you have any withholding on your W-2s, you may want file to get it refunded.
Also, you may qualify for the earned income credit if you are at least 25 years old.
To qualify for and claim the Earned Income Credit you must:
- Have earned income; and
- Have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year; and
- Have a valid Social Security number (not an ITIN) for yourself, your spouse (if filing jointly), and any qualifying children on your return; and
- Not have investment income exceeding $3,400; and
- Not be filing a Form 2555 or 2555-EZ; and
- File a return with the Single, Married Filing Jointly, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widower filing status, even if you're not required to file a return.