turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mendc10
Returning Member

Do I have an incorrect W-2c? (2019)

I received a W-2 and a W-2c form. My 2019 W-2c form only showed amounts "changed/corrected" from the original W-2 provided to me. The new W-2c form also omitted all other information "not changed," such as box 2 for Federal Income Tax Withheld - there was a number originally populated in this box per the original W-2 but no longer shows up in W-2c. Same goes for my retirement contributions... Should I request for an updated W-2c with all numbers changed/not changed from the W-2 or is this not necessary? Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The employer filled out the W-2C incorrectly.  The W-2C is to show the entire correct amount not just the change.  You can and should ask them to complete the W-2C with the correct complete information.  You can file the return without it by combining the two W-2's but the IRS will hold your refund until you provide an explanation for the differing amounts.  There is no shortcut to this.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

W2-C information is entered in the same area as an original W-2.  

You do not generally enter the W-2C as a new W-2 in its entirety.  Instead, you substitute the information on the W-2C for the information reported on the one with all the boxes filled in.  Then, on the follow-up screen after you have entered the new information, there will be a list of several questions asked -- Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?  Be sure to check the box for corrected W-2.

After you are finished, your return should have only one W-2 for the employer. 

@Mendc10

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mendc10
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply Lamontjon! Appreciate the input.

Mendc10
Returning Member

Hi AnnetteB6! 

I want to proceed using both the original W-2 and the W-2c, however I've seen a couple of posts indicating if I consolidate the information into one W-2 input - the IRS will question why the W-2 and the W-2c have different information. I can't attach the W-2c solely because it's missing information from the original W-2 - are you saying that if I just consolidate the two and flag this W-2 is corrected, wouldn't the IRS kickback after reviewing both W-2's.

I guess in short - my follow-up question is: Which W-2 should I be attaching? If I only attach W-2c, it only shows partial information.

Usually a corrected W-2 has all of the data, but since yours doesn't, I would use the data from your original W-2 and replace the amounts on the original W-2 with those populated on the corrected W-2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies