Do I file my taxes by myself on my turbo tax and then my wife files hers in her own and we then we both just say filing jointly!?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

NO!!!! When you file a joint return you prepare and file just ONE tax return for the two of you ----all of your information and all of your income goes on that one tax return and the refund (or tax due) is in both of your names.

To begin a new joint return on TurboTax:

You will not be able to merge two previous TT account to start your new joint return.  You can transfer ONE of your 2021 returns into a new return, so choose the most complicated one.  The other spouse’s information needs to be entered manually.

When you enter your own information in My Info, you have to answer the question "Were you married?"  If you click the button for Married, then a drop down will appear that asks, "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?"  Then you choose yes to file a joint return.  You would then enter your spouse's information into Personal Info.  Whenever you are entering income information there should then be a spot for you and for your spouse's income information.

When you prepare a joint return you include all the information for both spouses on the SAME tax return.  Include all of your personal information, all of your income from every source, all dependents (if any), all credits and deductions for both of you.  You get ONE refund with both names on it.

AmyC

No, you either both file MFS or file one return as MFJ. MFS can be very harsh. If you have rental income, retirement funds, or kids, I would really advise you look into how much you could lose. 

Very few people file the federal return as MFS. Please follow the IRS link to  help you decide which is best for you.  IRS quick filing status quiz for your federal return.

However, depending on the state in which you live, you may want to file MFS for your state. Sometimes you can even file separately on the same return. Each state is unique. You can check your state here.

If you live in a community property state, Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin and file separately, your income may be considered separate income or community income for income tax purposes.

If you decide you want to file separate returns, the desktop version would be more economical since you can do up to 5 returns on TurboTax desktop instead of paying for 2 full returns online.