Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Divorced parents (who claim a child on alternating years) are both able to receive the first two stimulus checks for a dependent. How does the 2nd parent claim it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Divorced parents (who claim a child on alternating years) are both able to receive the first two stimulus checks for a dependent. How does the 2nd parent claim it?

The parent who collected the two stimulus checks for the child, and who likely claimed the child in 2019, would report that the full amount had been received for the stimulus payments by entering what was received in full.

The parent who has not received the two stimulus checks for the child and who is likely to be claiming the child in 2020, would report that the full amount had not been received (including 0 if nothing was received)

To file the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax, follow these steps:

• Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  • Answer Yes.
  • At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  • If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount must be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

For more information, see this article from the IRS: Why the Economic Impact Payment amount could be different than anticipated

Sfeffggg
Returning Member

I’m going through that right now I’ve been filing  for my son and all the sudden I filed this time and I get rejected after telling his mother I already filed and that the money should be here soon I feel she has went behind me and felt using his social and pretty much what I’ve just read in his article I feel victim right now because it sounds like the same situation I’m in now so what do I do about this because I went all the way the world doing what I can to fix it

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you are eligible to claim him, do so.  But you will have to file by mail since his SSN has already been filed.   The IRS will process your return.   Then later, they will both of you letters to request one of you amend your return.  

The parent that the child spent the most night of 2020 with is eligible to claim the child.   The non-custodial parent will need to pay back any credits they do not qualify for.    @Sfeffggg

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sfeffggg
Returning Member

That’s what I’m saying you right  with everything you said the only difference is that I’ve always been head of household we’ve been separated for a year I’ve taken care of them financially he stays with her yes most nights I get them on the weekend but every thing that comes from the government she get everything that is deserved for her and the kids anything that I work for does require from a job base I keep for myself anything the government does for the kids I  make sure she gets so that’s my problem is that she know even with the separation she still receives it not me I get it but I gave it to her she don’t work I do

Sfeffggg
Returning Member

Thank you for everything I will apply By mail and  by the end of the year one of us will amen

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies