turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When does a dependant 18 year old have to file taxes? She was told by her college that she didn't need to file. Is there a benefit to filing if there is no refund? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

When does a dependant 18 year old have to file taxes? She was told by her college that she didn't need to file. Is there a benefit to filing if there is no refund? Thanks!

Did she have any income? Any scholarships or grants?

She did have some income from a child care center where she worked after school. She has not received a W2. I suggested she follow up and see if one was generated. I don't believe they took out taxes but I'm not sure about that. The 1098T would have the scholarships/grants listed correct?
RichardG

Please see the information on the filing thresholds for 2015. Note that she must file if she earned $400 or more in self-employment (1099-MISC) income.   At the very least, you or your daughter should calculate any education tax credits that may be available.

If your daughter does file a tax return, please make sure the return shows that you have claimed her as a dependent.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302274
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies