Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Determining the correct state for taxes and deductions after double relocation.

Context:

1. I was working for the company A in New Jersey and was living in New Jersey until date x.
  2. From date x + 1, I started working for another company, say B, in California and moved to California.
  3. Company A sent me final paystub on date x + 4 which included:
    1. Final wages (last few days), $W, for the work I did for A in NJ while living in NJ.
    2. Repayments I had to give back to company A, say $R.
      1. In the middle of this year I moved from IL to NJ. In IL also, I was working for company A only, at their IL site.
      2. This repayment of $R was of the relocation benefits they gave me for the IL to NJ move. I repaid the entire benefit they gave me (including the commission of the relo management agency).
    3. Payout for unused accrued PTOs, say $P.  I accrued PTOs while I was in NJ as well as while in IL (this year only).

Question:
  1. To whom do I need to pay the state taxes on the $W. NJ or CA or both?
  2. To whom do I need to pay the state taxes on the $P. NJ or CA or IL or a mix?
  3. Will I get some tax deductions on $R? If so, from which state IL, NJ or CA?

Please feel free to reach out for any clarification or if you need more details.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Duplicate post. 

This is more clarified version of my previous post. I am unable to delete the previous one.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies