Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2


My sister lives with my mom in NJ. She works as a teacher and my mom is retired receiving SS pmts. She shoulders most of the expenses at home. Can she file as head of household? Or claim my mom as a dependent?

4 Replies
Employee Tax & Finance Expert


She can only claim your mother as a dependent if she is paying more than 50% of all household needs to live in that home, in every regard, which may be hard to do if your mother owns that home and has sufficient means to pay her own way.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15


If your mom's only income is Social Security, and your sister is providing over half her support, then your sister may be able to file as head of household and claim your mom as a qualifying relative dependent.   She would get the $500 credit for other dependents.


Am I Head of Household?


If you qualify as Head of Household, when you enter your marital status (single or married filing separately) into MyInfo, and then enter your qualifying dependent, TurboTax will offer HOH as your filing status.



IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 2


Thank you. If my sister does claim my mom as a dependent does my mom still need to file taxes on her SS earnings?

Level 2


Thank you. They rent an apartment and pay 75/25 on rent and food (sister pays more).

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings