Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

dependent children

I have two kids that are both in school full time- 17 and 20 - but work part time jobs that paid them around $6000 each this past year.  can I claim them on my taxes AND let them file to get their refund also?

2 Replies
Level 15

dependent children

Is the 20 year old a full-time student?   If not, then you cannot claim the 20 year old as a dependent. If the 20 year old is a full-time student then you can also claim him.    But you can claim the 17 year old as a dependent.



If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 1

dependent children

If your older child was at least 5 months full time student, you can claim him, otherwise he can file his own tax return. For the 17-years old you can follow the instructions above. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings